Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Trying New Things

Last week was a rough week.  Very busy!  And for some reason stressful.  I'm glad it's over :).  The baby shower I hosted went well.  We did a storybook theme, and played about 4 different games (guess how many m&ms in a baby bottle; The Price is Right; Baby Shower Bingo; and a guess the book quote game).  The food was all based on books.  And that's pretty much all I took a picture of at the shower.  Haha...  So here are a couple pictures of the food.

 The food was:
"Chicken Little" Salad Sandwiches
"Dragons Love Tacos" doritos
"Three Little Pigs" in blankets
"Green Eggs and Ham" deviled eggs
"Peter Rabbit's" vegetable garden
"The Very Hungry Caterpillar's" fruit
"Blue [Green] Fish" Punch (because it didn't occur to me that the orange juice would change the color of the blue jello to more of a slime green...)
I did chocolate chip cookies as the party favor from "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and used a quote I liked: "Children are made readers on the laps of their parents" -- Emilie Buchwald
And dessert was cheesecake, courtesy of "The Stinky Cheese[cake] Man" ;). 

Sunday was Easter, and the girls wore their pretty Easter dresses.  And I didn't take any pictures.  But I did take a picture of the dreamsicle trifle I made for dessert :).  It is a total keeper recipe!  I found it on pinterest and I will definitely keep it to make again.  Yum!  And definitely tastes like orange creamsicle :).  Which I happen to love.
You can find the recipe here.  And it's not really hard to make :).  A few steps, but not hard.  We enjoyed a delicious Easter dinner at my grandmother's house.  My mom made a crock pot ham (it was good -- and way easier, which was the goal!), her delicious (and bad-for-you) mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, and jello salad.  I made the trifle, creamed spinach (on my facebook 3M cookbook... soooo good!), and biscuits (that looked more like cookies, because when I wrote the recipe from pinterest, I accidentally wrote 1 cup instead of 1/4 cup of water!  Aaach!  I plan to try those biscuits at another time -- the right way :).  And I took punch from the baby shower (it makes a ton and you freeze the base of the punch in 2 parts...).

And this is my newest thing...  I'm learning to knit.  I went to a little sewing group with some of the ladies from church yesterday.  They have it weekly, but I don't think I can commit to that often, so I'm planning on every other week.  Mondays are pretty busy for me.  But anyway, one of the ladies there (she gave us the bunny blanket buddy and ball I showed in a previous picture) is teaching me how to knit.  So now I'll spend the next couple weeks working on this so I don't forget the technique :).  And then she'll show me some other stitches!  Knitting seems like a practical skill.  I cross-stitch, and I enjoy cross-stitching and giving gifts like Christmas ornaments.  But it's less useful -- whereas with knitting, you can make a hat or something :).  Anyway...  We'll see how I do with it and if I stick with it :).  For now I'm excited to be expanding my horizons!

1 comment:

Katherine Ronachert said...

Since the year of the ham, I have not been able to stomach it :) But the dessert looks really good! I love "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" (which I know is supposed to be in italics or bold, but I don't know how to do that... so there!) :)
Love ya!
Cute idea for a baby shower by the way :)