Friday, April 26, 2013

The Price of the Wire(less)

Let me just vent for a moment and say I loathe Comcast.  For two days we've had really spotty internet service.  Like it would load google and do a basic google search.  But forget about actually loading any pages.  Email, facebook -- even Comcast's website itself (how ironic, when you need to contact them for help, right?).  It went nowhere.  I'm even hesitant to hope that this connection I'm enjoying right now will last through the end of this post.  I managed to get a phone number for Comcast Customer Service.  I get irritated fast.  I told them my issue (and by some miracle didn't have to wait 3 hours to get a real person on the line).  She wanted me to hard-wire the laptop and bypass the wireless router (both the modem and router are ours, not rented from Comcast).  I tried to, but then I couldn't connect at all.  I'm positive it is something to do with a setting or whatever -- because I know nothing about this kind of stuff.  I know I plugged the ethernet cable into my laptop where I think it goes.  And then I had no connection.  So she said they would send a tech out for $3.99 and they could check our equipment.  I nixed that.  I'm not paying for them to send someone out.  Not even $4.  I'm cheap.  Good grief.  And considering I'm having a good connection time at the moment (hopefully), I'm pretty sure the problem isn't our equipment.  Therefore, they should be dealing with it for free, seeing as we pay for a service.  Anyway, I'll have Jeremy try to do the bypass when he gets home if the internet is still garbage. 

This isn't the first problem we've had with Comcast.  And it probably won't be the last.  I'm severely tempted to discontinue the service.  But living in this digital age where we are used to having things at our fingertips 24/7 makes it hard to bite that bullet and go without internet (at least until I found out what other services are available in our area).  This is how we keep tabs on our bank accounts and pay several of our bills.  This is how I check for cheap airfare (another rant -- how do tickets go up $100 overnight when the timeframe is still 6 months away!?!).  And so, it feels like being stuck in a catch-22.

In happier news, I think I was slightly better adjusted for the majority of this week.  Was really busy and definitely had some pouty moments.  But overall, I made a bigger effort to focus outside of myself and stop having a pity party.  Today is my first all-day-at-home this week, and it's officially a glasses and pj kind of day.  Even the sun is hiding behind the clouds.  Tomorrow is my first (of 2) baby showers.  There were so many rsvp's they moved the location from my friend's house to the church building.  Then we have Saria's birthday party.  She is 12 this year.  Which seems crazy to me.

And just so you know I'm keeping with the picture-taking, here's me at 36 weeks, 1 day.  I'll take more pictures tomorrow at the shower too.


I think it's funny how often I wear the same shirt in these pictures.  And I can't believe I'm due in less than 4 weeks!  That seems plain crazy to me.  I don't really have any new news to report in the baby department.  Still wiggling at night -- and providing great entertainment to me when I'm sitting in meetings and watching my stomach move.  Have people telling me I look small for being due in 4 weeks.  I don't take offense to such comments.  Because I know I've gained plenty of weight and that Baby is probably doing just fine according to all we can know at this point.  And I'd rather look small (when I'm not) than look blimpy -- since my weight gain is probably over 30 pounds now.  Yee-haw! So that's about the size of things.  I'm off to do some to-do list stuff.  Prepping the Ward Activity treasures, prepping my Sharing Time lesson for Sunday...  You know.  Stuff :).  At least it's a leftovers kind of night!  Clean out the fridge time :).  Oh, and I should probably take advantage to this rare moment of good internet connectivity and balance our checkbook.  Hmmm...  Fun fun fun!

Oh, and here's a picture for my dad of Desiree at Activity Days girls.  She's 8 now, so every other week she attends this and this past week they had a "grand-daughter reveal" party.  Basically for 2 weeks, the girls took little things to a secret Grandma in the Ward: a home-made card, a little potted flower, a home-made beaded bracelet; and they secretly dropped off the stuff.  Then on Wednesday, the Grandmas were invited to a little party where they would find out who their secret grand-daughter was and then the girls would perform a talent.  Desiree danced to a One Direction song (so Aunt Hila got an education on that boy band while trying to find the song for her to have).  Anyway, it was sweet -- and here's her picture.
I think it's an adorable picture of her.  In other niece news... Emily got hold of some scissors and did a number on her hair last week.  So Christina had to "fix" it.  She actually looks kind of pixie-ish.  It's cute.  Ah the adventures of parenthood that await me. 

1 comment:

jessica said...

You look awesome!!...just sayin' ;)