Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving

It is hard to believe the holiday season is already here. Thanksgiving is now behind us, and Christmas is coming. And the goose is getting fat :). And so is the Nilla ;). Hahaha... Kidding.

We had Thanksgiving at my grandmother's house this year. Ben and his family had his in-laws up, so they did Thankgiving at their house. The rest of us were at the house. That was 7 adults and 5 kids. And that was chaos! But it was good. Though I am pretty high-strung. I will admit it. I don't handle too much chaos too terribly well sometimes. But anyway, the food was great. Yes, I took pictures. No, I don't have them with me at the moment. I will remember to post them later. But it was quite a feast -- always tons of food, even when we think we aren't going overboard ;). We had a turkey, 2 hams, sweet potatoes, rolls, green bean casserole, jello salad, tropical fruit salad, mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing, apple pie, and pumpkin pie. And sparkling cider to drink. And we watched a true Thanksgiving classic... A B.C. Thanksgiving. Thank goodness for my dad's habit of keeping everything. Otherwise we might not have had those Betamax tapes from which to copy!! So yeah, we chuckled about the "winded turkey" and every other small joy in that show.

I guess, at times, it is easy to forget the many things I have to be thankful for. It is always so easy to focus on the negatives. But then I realize how blessed I really am. We've had a cold spell for the last several weeks. And Thursday night was particularly chilly. And I have a safe, secure, warm house and warm bed to sleep in. I have a vehicle that gets me from place to place. I have a job that is paying my bills and allowing me to do fun things. And beyond that, I have a job that I love. I have a loving family, and we are almost all close to each other geographically. I have the most wonderful friends anyone could ask for. I have an abiding knowledge that I have a loving Heavenly Father who has a plan for me -- even when I can't see it. Truthfully, these are just the surface of my blessings. I truly have so much. And I need to do better at remembering that every day. Even when I'm frustrated that life isn't going as I had planned.

So yes, Thanksgiving here was good.

I even went out on Black Friday. Now, I'm not willing to sacrifice too much sleep for that. So I got up around 7:10 and left the house around 7:30. I went to Wal-Mart and got a few DVDs for $2 each. Then I went to Target and got a couple of things there, including Baby Mama on DVD for $4. I haven't seen it yet, but I figured it was a good buy :). I heard a lot of good things about it. Eventually I'll get around to watching it :). I was at work by 9 and just spend the rest of the day doing the usual.

Tomorrow I will be singing a solo in church. I'm singing with the Ward choir, but there is a part that is solo, and they asked me to do it. I'm a little nervous about that. It's a beautiful song. And, though we are a small choir, I think we are a good one. But singing with everyone together is a whole lot different than singing by myself. Ugh. Hopefully it will go okay.

So yeah, that's about it, really. Just more of the sameold sameold vanilla :).

4 comments:

jessica said...

THe Lake House

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Katherine Ronachert said...

good luck on that solo! wow! also, i really haven't been avoiding you. i'm into finales week and am frantically finishing extra credit to up my grade to an 'a' and get the house in christmas decor!!! i love you and miss you too!

Katherine Ronachert said...

and baby mama is da bomb... :)

Katherine Ronachert said...

also, i miss the thanksgiving we had last year...