Sunday, August 9, 2009

Never Say Never

We've had a busy week here lately. My grandfather's health has gotten worse, and things aren't looking good. He spent a week in the hospital and was able to come home on Wednesday. My Aunt Sue has been up for the week, and my Aunt Hila is coming in Tuesday. As life goes on, I find that I ponder many things these days. Perspective changes. People change. That was something I had a hard time accepting once, but I've come to see that it is true. People change. I know I have. It is hard to believe that this time last year, I was in Panama. I fully anticipated having a good librarian job here very quickly. I thought I knew why I was coming here to Washington. At this point, I'm not so sure that I am here for the reasons I thought I was. Do I know why I'm here? No, not really. But I've had a few insights as to possibilities. And none of them are the reasons I originally had in my head a year ago. I find that I've had opportunities I would never have if I wasn't here. And though I know I haven't been all that I should be for her, my mom tells me I've helped her by being here -- that I've given her someone to talk to. And so maybe that's why I've been here and why I've not found the jobs I thought I'd find that would take me away from here. So life is interesting. The more I live, the more I learn the truth in the addage: Life is what happens when we're busy making other plans. Interesting that John Lennon has been credited with that quote -- I just looked it up. And so, as I have pondered these things and the way my life has twisted and turned over the past year... or three ;), I have realized the wisdom in a song that says "never say never." And so you should listen to it here :).

So these are just some of the things I once said never to, and which I've done. And so, I shall eat crow. And I will try my best to never utter the word never (oops! failed already!) again :).

Twilight: I swore I'd never read the books. But I did. And I liked them. And I went and saw the movie in the theatre, and then I bought the movie. And I will be seeing the next one.

Facebook: I was so against it. I saw all the bad things that can come of it. But I do have facebook. I don't use it all the time or do any of the games on it, but I have an account, and I have found really great things about facebook -- like finding people from 10 or even 16 years ago.

Texting: Ah yes, texting. How critical I was of texters who use "ur" and "c u later" or whatever. I couldn't understand the thrill of the text. But since I've become a texter (and even got a phone to make it easier), I see the benefit of text-messaging. And so, I've become such an avid texter, I had to move to unlimited texting on our family share plan. Which is beneficial for me, Christina, and even my mom, who, yes, is also texting sometimes too :). Oh, and here's my new phone:
My new phone

And here's the phone opened up for texting (look, Julie, it's purple!):
My new phone in text-mode

Okay, so I know those aren't heavy things that I said I'd never do that I did. But you get the idea :). So, I wonder what else I will end up doing that I said I'd never do? Of course, there are things I won't do, because they aren't silly little frivolous things, like those above. Some things are legitimate things that I won't do.

And, do end up on a fun picture-note... Here are cute pictures from last Sunday's picnic at the State Park. Isn't my sister beautiful? And aren't the kids so adorable?!? They are all growing up so fast! And look at that Emily. She's crawling now. And such a good baby. And of course, there's Brad, the grill master :).
Christina and Emily

I LOVE these babies!

Brad the grill-master

7 comments:

juliebean said...

what a good post... I hope I get to come up there soon and see Christina and your mommy and everyone. Wish I was there for the grill out.

Katherine Ronachert said...

ps hope you enjoy my mama!
did i already comment? i'm sure i did.

Katherine Ronachert said...

i KNOw that quote; i can see it... crap.
also, brad looks alot like your dad. in the last pic.

Lysha said...

Love your phone! How cool is that? You did a good job picking it out! Props to Hila!

PS. I haven't seen Christinas kids in a while! They are soooo big now!! Even the littlest, It seems like she was just born yesterday.

Mrs. S said...

I loved that post! There are so many things I swore I'd never do (ie...every time I leave NJ I SWEAR I'll never come back...so why am I here again???). I swore I'd never read the Harry Potter books, and I love them!

Katherine Ronachert said...

uncle buck.
ps update, update, update!

jessica said...

I can't even count the number of times I have eaten my words. I just need a shirt that says, "Open mouth, insert foot." OH and...Uncle Buck!