Monday, August 3, 2009

I [Felt] My Temperature Rising

I figure with the infrequency that I blog these days, I can easily do a song-title post for each one :). So here you go -- the song for today's post :).

What a week it was... a hot week. And that is why I included that song. We hit high temperatures of about 104. Which is insane and unheard of. You know that philosophy called "The grass is always greener..."? Hahaha... Well, the grass was definitely greener in Alabama last week, because at least in Alabama they expect that kind of heat every summer, so they have air conditioning!!! Most places around here don't have any kind of a/c. Yeah, it was craptastic. YUCK. The day my heart really sank was when I heard them explaining the meaning of "heat index" on the news. If they have to explain it, it means they don't have a reason to know what it means usually... And I already knew from 10 years of experience in Alabama. So, I got blamed for the heat. My boss told me that I obviously brought it with me, because it hasn't been this way before. Well, you know me. I think on my feet. I told him, "Hey, there's a price to pay for the presence of fabulousness." And so that quote made its way around the office, and good old Bob made me another sign and stuck it over my work station :). Hahaha... Always fun. Also, it hasn't rained in over a month here. Also a rarity. I'm looking forward to the return of the rain.

So anyway, we survived the heat. It's still been warm, but not unbearable. We even had a family picnic yesterday at a State Park here. It was quite beautiful and not really hot there, because of all the shade. We played Apples to Apples and grilled out, and it was great! The kids had a blast too. It had been a while since we'd done a family thing, so it was nice to do this. And now we know that we don't have to pay to use the facilities, so maybe we can do it again before long :).

As usual, I've stayed pretty busy. I taught the lesson in Relief Society yesterday, and then I also got asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting next Sunday. So I need to prepare a talk. Phew!

Oh! And I got my new phone today! It came to the funeral home via FedEx :). I haven't actually set it up yet. But I have it. And I got it for free, since I signed on for 2 more years with Verizon. And I got a full texting keyboard! Yippee!!! I'm hoping its battery life is better than the one I've had for the past almost 2 years.

And blackberry season is here again. I don't know what my obsession is with picking blackberries. We still had 4 frozen quarts of blackberries from last year, and yet I am compelled to go pick more! Something about free food that grows without a whole lot of tending. Hahaha... I need to make some jam or something out of them. We made blackberry pie and blackberry lemonade with some of them for our family picnic yesterday, and both were very good :).

Well, I don't have much else to say for now. So have a great week!!!

9 comments:

Stefanie Nicole Barker said...

You seriously know how to make life beautiful wherever you are, Hila :) Haha, and loved the fabulousness comment :)

jessica said...

And I thought berries for 77 cents this week was a good deal. You can't beat free!!

Oh and Liar, Liar!

juliebean said...

i know the movie

liar liar

sooo funny.. i could hear it in my head... spppeeeedddiinnngg

juliebean said...

i think it is punishment for all the I hate the south and this heat comments you made while here. the heat followed U!!

Katherine Ronachert said...

i'm a dummy... i was thinking of blackberry the fruit the whole time i was reading the end of your post. somebody please hit me over the head with something!
love you still...

Nilla said...

Wait... now I'm confused! I was talking about blackberries the fruit :). My new phone is a Motorola Rival. The purple one. I'm such a slacker... I still haven't set it up!!!

Mrs. S said...

Liar, Liar!

Katherine Ronachert said...

great, now i'm a double dummy.
*sigh*
i WAS thinking blackberry the phone, which made me confused.
crapola, sometimes i should keep my mouth shut (or comments to myself!) but then, what fun is that?
love you!!!!

Lysha said...

I can't believe its already that hot in Washington! You should just come visit us sense its the same down here! :D By the way, I'm lovin the "craptastic" word that you used! haha. I'll have to remember that.