Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Only Nilla

So now that I know the outcome of this story, I will share it. Let me preface this story with this statement: they didn't end up hiring me for the position. Okay, so back in February, I think I mentioned a job for which I applied that required Spanish knowledge. And then I had to go take a Spanish test. I didn't hear anything for a long time, and figured maybe my Spanish was way worse than I thought it was. And then around March 4, I got a phone call about the job. They wanted to interview me, and they were setting up interviews for March 25. Well, by that point, I had already purchased my ticket to Alabama, and I knew I'd be somewhere in the middle of these great United States on March 25. So, I explained that to the guy, and he told me he would see if they could arrange an interview for the following week, and he'd call me back either that afternoon or the next day. Well, I didn't hear back. And I figured they didn't want me enough to really work that out -- but took comfort in the fact that my Spanish wasn't totally sucky. So then comes Tuesday, March 24. And I'm somewhere around Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri. And I get a phone call about that job. They want to set up a phone interview -- on my cell phone mind you -- for the following day. He apologizes for "being remiss" in getting back to me. I figure, "What the heck, I can try this phone interview thing." But I do explain that I can't guarantee good cell phone service, because who even knew where we'd be by 3:00 the following day? Turns out, at 3:00 Washington time the following day (which was 5:00 in the place where I set up the interview time, and 4:00 in the place where I ended up having the interview), we were just over the New Mexico state line. Okay, do any of you know how awkward it is to interview on a cell phone flying 75 mph down I-40? I mean, seriously... Who should know that? Who do these kinds of things happen to? Apparently, the answer is Nilla. And do you know how much more awkward it is to have your parents listening to your half of the interview? I think that was the worst part. But thankfully, my wonderful dad found the first exit he could, and he and my mom got out of the Jeep and let me interview in solitude. So there you go. That's my story. I swear, I need to pen my memoirs. Anyway, so I don't really know why I didn't get the job, but they did ask me if I'd be interested in working as a substitute librarian for the library system there. I figure: why not? He mentioned something about it allowing me to get my foot in the door, which makes me think perhaps the person who got the job is someone who was already working in the system. Which is cool. And actually, I'm pretty relieved. That would've been an hour commute each way -- which would have not been fun. And really, the main reason I wanted the job in the first place was just because the pay was good and I'd be able to (finally) get my own place. But, for now... Here I stay. And I'm actually quite content.

Because with all my glorious flexibility at my current job (have I mentioned how I love this job?), I can do things like buy yet another plane ticket. To places like Orlando, FL. Where my BFF Julie will pick me up and then we'll both go live the dream of all dreams. (Okay, maybe not the dream of all dreams, but pretty darn close). We're going to the New Kids on the Block concert in Tampa on May 30!!! Well, okay, pending purchase of those tickets. They don't go on sale until Friday, the 10th of April. But as for me, I've already bought my roundtrip ticket. So, even if we don't get to go ooooh and aaaah over Danny, Donnie, Jordan, Jonathan, and Joey... We'll still have a great time :). But, since we both have been wanting this -- and I missed out in November at the Tacoma Dome -- I really hope it happens :)!!!

In other news:

Today was day 3 in walking. And it was uber-breezy. And cold. And so I'm sure I looked ridiculous wearing my shorts and my leather jacket over my shirt. But hey -- it's all I had in the car, since I didn't come home after work.

I think my camera's memory card is going bad. This is bad news. But, at least they are relatively cheap to buy. I'll see how this round goes. At least I didn't lose pics from my Alabama trip. I'd already put those on my mom's computer.

I finally filed my Alabama State taxes. Did you know I couldn't file the easy form, because I was only a part-year resident? That was lame. Especially since I filled out the easy one first -- and then I noticed that rule. Ugh. Thank goodness I thought to grab one of each from good old HLML.

My new shoes rub the tops of my feet in not-so-pleasant ways. But my feet will have to suck it up. Because I'm not wasting that money. And for Kira... Here's a picture - or two.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Okay, so the second picture is hard to see well. But the flash in the mirror ruins the picture anyway, so there you go. And Dad, that's you on the phone that I was talking to :). Now you see how I can multi-task.

And this is 2 posts in 2 days. I'm on a roll! And I deserve a prize :).

7 comments:

Kira =] said...

Awww, thanks. =]

And I agree super cute!!

Stefanie said...

Haha ugh you got to me before I could write you back from facebook! Hila you are so nice for writing to me I appreciated that so much! I had sporadic internet access over there and sometimes it got lonely and I appreciated your message oodles much! :)
And what the poo the other day I saw you got to go to Alabama...ahhh nice...
Oh, and sorry this is turning so lengthy but on the plane ride back I watched Twilight...and I liked it. I think I am converting from my anti-movie sentiments. So, good taste in movie parties you have, Hila, good taste.
If you ever need some place to stay over here in Provo let me know, k?

Christina said...

The movie quote is from Clueless.

Katherine Ronachert said...

wow! i am so impressed! :) done with classes!!!! i will be able to rest next week.

juliebean said...

nice shoes. I would have to ask the teenager if they are "in" or not, as I seem to be fashion clueless. A fact she likes to laugh about.

Stefanie said...

Haha, it's ok everyone in Japan lives with the grandparents - you should move there :) They don't have New Kids, but I'm sure they have a knock-off imitation somewhere over there :)

the happy thomas family said...

those shoe fabulous. just fab.u.lous. as are you.