Sunday, April 5, 2009

Movies I'll Never Quote

So, the bottom line is that, while I enjoy a wide variety of movies and genres, there are definitely some that I don't care for at all. And the truth is that usually it will take just one scene from a movie to ruin the whole movie for me. And it's also true that movie taste is where Julie and I usually differ :). Right Julie?

The first movie I can think of that I don't like based on one scene is The Young Sherlock Holmes. There is a scene in the movie where people are getting attacked by flying gargoyles. Here's a link to part of the movie. It's creepy. But anyway, the gargoyle thing (which ended up being hallucinations) ruined the whole movie for me. My parents insist that I would like it if I would watch it as an adult. I beg to differ. It still looks creepy.

When I was about 12 -- this would have been the summer of 1993, Born on the Fourth of July was on SCN (the Southern Command Network, which was our only English channel in Panama until we got cable tv later that year). I only saw a part of it. But the part of it I saw was so disturbing to me, that I got up and left. It was after Tom Cruise's character returned from the war, and in the scene he was yelling and mad and frustrated because he had to pee out of a tube. I've never seen the rest of the movie; I've never wanted to. It was disturbing. I've never forgotten it.

This one's a famous one :). It's not so much a scene of the movie that ruined it for me. It was the ending of the movie. I guess I should warn you that there is a spoiler coming, if you haven't seen A Beautiful Mind. Yes, I realize that the overcoming of his issues was supposed to be the happy ending. But for me, I was so sad that the problem just didn't go away completely, rather than him having to pretend like it wasn't there... I realize that probably sounds dumb. And I know that, in real life, it doesn't work that way. That sometimes the best we can ever hope for is the ability to fight against something and overcome issues that are still there, but that the issues never go away. But I sure wouldn't mind it if there was the chance for that to happen in life :). And so, I wasn't a fan of A Beautiful Mind. And that, Julie, is where we differ!!! :) :) :).

Okay, so this was a rather pointless blog post. But I figured I should write something. And I know there are probably most of you out there that don't agree with me on the last one. So sue me :)!

Oh, and also, if you can think of others that I've told you about (because I know there are more), feel free to remind me in a comment :).

5 comments:

Katherine Ronachert said...

clueless!

Katherine Ronachert said...

i wasn't a huge fan of beautiful mind. brilliant movie, but just not a fan.

Katherine Ronachert said...

i commented on your comment...

juliebean said...

that is where we differ. You have to looookk deeeeeeeeeeper. It was a triumphant movie, a beautiful mind, he won. In life, our addictions/problems never really go away, do they? But, that is ok, cause we can have one small difference and still be bffs..... hee hee

juliebean said...

i would like credit for the movie quote, I knew that, i just did not get over here to read it.

I want after the fact credit, cause I deserve it, being the bff and all.........