Monday, November 19, 2012

The Horror!

I made two terribly horrible discoveries last week.  Perhaps these are actually good things in the long run.  But while not impossible, that's highly improbable.  You'll understand.

Horror #1:  It's official....  Target (at least the one closest to me) no longer offers their wonderful Target nachos.  I tried, yet again, to swing by to get some since I was up that way.  And this time I took the time to notice that the cheese dispenser wasn't there -- AND it's no longer even on the menu.  Sigh.  Now where's a girl to get some oh-so-good-but-oh-so-bad-for-you-cheap-nachos?  No, seriously... Where?

Horror #2:  No more Twinkies!?!  Jeremy and I actually went to the store Saturday to see if there might -- by some slim chance -- be some still on the shelf.  No dice.  But there was a notice posted where they should have been indicating the company was not in business any longer.  We were not so focused on this goal that we store-hopped... We only checked one store.  We figure the others would produce similar results.  Not only does this sort of stab at the heart of anyone who wants to know Twinkies are available if the craving ever arises (it doesn't very often for me... I can't honestly tell you when I last had a Twinkie -- but I can tell you I want one now (that I can't)!).  But it's also a bit of a blow to those with a nostalgic streak.  I've even blogged about Twinkies (more times, it turns out, than I had even realized.... I seem to be obsessed with the idea of having a fried Twinkie one day.  Now what am I supposed to do with that bucket list item?!?).  (You can read all about my Twinkie posts by clicking the link).  And today I read that the reason they had to file for bankruptcy is that too many workers have been striking due to bargaining issues.  Well, unions, you can consider yourself with another black mark on my list.  You have just killed the Twinkie.  How will my children ever know the joy of a Twinkie?  I blame you.

Actually, there's one glimmer available...  The company MAY be able to come to an agreement and be saved.  Or sold off to some big company willing to make Twinkies.  And deliver them in the same truck that they deliver other food items (apparently this is one of the issues with Hostess:  they had to have separate delivery trucks for Twinkies from all their other products.  What!?!  That's got to be among the stupidest things I've ever heard (and trust me, I've heard some doozies).  And it was established because of some bargaining agreement.  Seriously?!?)  Unions.  Blech.

The other good news?  Jeremy and I opened our snooty cookies :).  And they are oh so good!  We ate them and key lime pie frozen yogurt while we watched A B.C. Thanksgiving on Saturday for date night (and also Daffy Duck's Quackbusters).  Thankfully there are a lot of cookies in that tin.  Because I want to savor them for a while :).

5 comments:

Heather said...

You can buy that same nacho cheese in a #10 can at Sam's and a huge box of the round chips for less than $10. Just have a nacho party because it's too much for 2 people unless you want to eat them everyday for a week.

Unknown said...

Pwah ha ha! Omygoodness Hila you are HILARIOUS! It is sad though, I have to agree, that our children will never have the experience of taking a spongy-fluffy bite of one of those dear snack cakes from childhood. I don't even know if I would like one if I ate one now, but I do still want one.
...Maybe pinterest has a homemade twinkie recipe?

Unknown said...

I just checked...they do! :)
No such luck on the Target nachos though. Happy Thanksgiving!

jessica said...

The twinkies are devastating! I was counting on those for my 30 year food storage! They can't be gone forever. I'm holding out hope. Will thinks it's an attempt to jettison the twinkie to new heights :)

Katherine Ronachert said...

OK, so I left a long lengthy comment... it's not here... stupid phone. :(
Anyway, Elliott loves 7-11 nachos... as in he used to make midnight runs when the urge hit him! Try them. I think they were fairly cheap as well... which makes everyone happy.
I love you and hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.