Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We Are [Volunteers]

Okay, so it's technically a song title post.  But it's obscure.  I got it from a Primary (children's church) song called "We are Pioneers."  Anyone who knows that song may be signing it in their head now.  It's one of those types of songs ;).  But fun. 

So this is just a little quick update, because I find myself with a few free minutes way too early in the morning (for my taste).
So this bag of goodies is why I chose the song title.  They are itty bitty tomatoes.  I got them from the garden at my mom's house.  I didn't' plant any itty bitty tomatoes this year.  These are called volunteer crops.  See, Jeremy and I were at my mom's on Labor Day so Jeremy could mow the lawn and I could water the plants I did plant (3 jalapa peppers (hoping they're like jalapeno), 1 bell pepper, 1 tomato), pick the ripe fruit (including from my strawberries), and look at some things my mom had to show me.  As Jeremy and I went to carry some things downstairs right before we left, I looked out to the garden and noticed all these little red orbs (which I'd somehow missed while I had been in the garden earlier) amongst the weeds (which have grown as tall as me, by the way...  We never tilled it this year, and we aren't doing a lot of maintaining...).  I said to Jeremy, "What do you think those little red balls are out there?  Flower bulbs?"  He said, "Well, let's go take a look; but they look like tomatoes to me."  And what do you know?  The ones I had let rot away last year went to seed all by themselves.  And in amongst all those weeds, several tomato plants grew; and a few of them even produced!  There were a couple of regular slicing tomatoes as well, but they are still green.  So how about that!  I hadn't even been watering them, and they'd grown!  So I've now been picking them and eating them snack-like.  They are very flavorful.  I like volunteers :).

 This is the kitchen in the house Jeremy and I made an offer on on Saturday.  And the offer was accepted yesterday.  This is the older house I spoke of a few posts back that has the land we wanted and a great location.  This is the house that will require a heavy remodel.  But it has magnificent potential.  I took a ton of pictures, but I'm only posting one.  There is still the possibility it won't happen; and if that's the case, we will accept it as a closed door we aren't meant to walk through.  But we have prayed about this for a month.  We have pondered and researched.  And though it will be a lot of work...  We think it will be worth it.  We think we can make it what we want; and the property is already more than we were hoping for in the area we were looking.  So we are excited (though at times daunted). 

So that's my quick update :). 

1 comment:

the happy thomas family said...

wonderful! good luck. keeping you both in my prayers.

yay for surprise tomatoes! i can't - apart from hila on my doorstep - think of much of a better one.

and yes ... we are pioneers is now stuck in my head. but i thank you - it dislodged the 'hello, hello' and 'wise man and the foolish man' that amm placed there earlier this morning. :)