Friday, August 31, 2012

A Day On the Farm

I don't waste time on Pinterest :). I learn self-reliance and save money :). Haha... That's my excuse anyway ;). And I even have proof! Below are pictures of my growing celery. I just chopped off the bottom of store-bought celery, put it in water for a week (which helped produce 2 roots) and just potted it on Friday. It's grown even more since then, but I didn't take anymore pictures. Either way, I'm totally excited. It's the nerd in me coming out :).  I'm also growing a green onion from the root part too now.  Before long, our table will be covered with plants.  I'm still excited about it though. 

This next one is from today, while the other were from 2 or 3 weeks ago.  You can see the green onions also in the picture below.  Pretty awesome stuff!  Oh yeah, today is actually August 31.  You can ignore the date this blog says it was posted...  That's when I started it.  I don't know where the time has gone.
So earlier this month Jeremy and I took all the kids out to Jeremy's parents' farm.  Mostly it was to get the kids out of the city and let them run around.  Experience new things.  See what it is to do a little work and reap the rewards.  And wander around up creeks and explore.  I think they had a blast.  It was a full day.  The pictures below kind of tell their own story, but I'll narrate a little bit :).

Here are the kids trying to get close to the cow.  The cow wasn't very trusting of them and kept running away.  It was a minefield of manure, but the kids didn't seem to mind.  Haha...
We had them pick raspberries so they could enjoy them on ice cream later on.  The goal was for them to do a little bit of work and help out.  Here are Desiree and Autumn.
And here's Emily showing me one of hers.
We took a picnic lunch of peanut butter and jam with some veggies and fruit and cookies.  And Jeremy's mom made them some waffle cookies, which they all loved.
We also collected chicken eggs, but I didn't take any pictures of that.  Angie did, but I never asked for them...  They learned that eggs are dirty fresh from the chicken.  You have to make sure you clean them and your hands!  And Samuel, please don't rub the warm egg on your cheek!  Ick!  Haha...

Then we took them on an adventure to a nearby creek.  Autumn spent a lot of her time collecting water bugs.  Saria, Benjamin, and Desiree explored further up-river with Uncle Jeremy (well, after this part where we went under the bridge).  Samuel was not interested in posing for pictures (you will see).  And Emily just tried to keep up.  Sometimes it's hard being 3.  But she is small, so she could go under fallen limbs and trunks better than most (and most especially better than Aunt Hila, who was trying to keep up!)


Desiree wanted to pose in the water.
Sam's thrilled to take pictures.
Once back on the farm, the kids got to jump on the trampoline for a bit.  Then they got to feed the cow.  So here are copious cow-feeding pictures.








Emily is our little poser.
Angie fed the cow too.
And once she was being fed, the cow was happy to let the kids pet her, if they approached her calmly and slowly and one at a time.

We took another picture after this one...  Neither one was very good.  I posted the one I thought I looked slightly improved in.  Ugh.

And Autumn celebrated her 9th birthday a few days later.
 

As for the rest of life...  Still house-hunting.  Not finding much these days.  I applied for another job.  We'll see if I get it :).  I'll keep ya posted!  And I'm looking forward to a lovely 4-day weekend (well, 3 left now).  I will be canning some peaches with my mother-in-law at some point :).  Happy Labor Day!

2 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

looks like lots of fun. veggies and all :) . love you.

Anonymous said...

:) hope it was wonderful! So ready to get Internet again! Krm