Sunday, June 24, 2012

Belated Celebrations

So the power supply on our modem went out. We are currently using the power supply from our wireless router to supply the modem with power. So I must hard-wire into the internet. And that's not so convenient. Our new power supply should arrive while we are out galavanting in Oregon. Woohoo! Vacation, here we come! Tomorrow.

First I will fill you in on our belated wedding celebration. Which was yesterday. It was fun. I'm glad it's over. But it was fun.  We kept it very low-key, and I think that was perfect.  It's a little non-traditional to have a reception-type thing 3 months after you're married, I suppose.  And mostly, we did this so that our family and friends could celebrate with us.  Being that we got married quite stealthily and all ;).  But at the same time, we recognize people have busy lives, and if they were going to take time out of their life for this, we wanted it to be enjoyable.  So we had lots of food and a fun trivia game where they could win prizes.  Here is the prize table:
Here's what the majority of the room set-up looked like.  See?  Really non-fru-fru.  We just put out picture of us from our wedding day and from the pictures Stacy took for us in November.
 The one "traditional" thing I did was order a cake.  Way too much cake.  I figured that would make it somewhat more "weddingish."
So this was way too much cake.  We have the entire bottom layer leftover.  We are taking half to the County and half to the funeral home tomorrow before we leave town.  We don't want that much cake.  But I thought it was pretty and it really was a decent tasting cake. 




And of course, the food spread.  Always an important picture!  Jeremy helped me with all the food.  Except the constructing of the empanadas, which my mom helped me do last weekend.  And the oreo truffles, which my mom-in-law helped me do.  My mom got really sick on Thursday and has been pretty much out of commission ever since.  So she wasn't there.  But a lot of family did go, including both my brothers, two of Jeremy's brothers and family, his grandma, his aunt, a cousin and her daughters, and another uncle and aunt.  Plus a lot of ladies from my job went and several people from church.  So it was a decent turn out.  Oh, and Bob and Melanie from the funeral home :). 



So our food consisted of a relish tray (black olives, garlic midget dills, garlic stuffed olives); cheese cubes (pepper jack and cheddar), ritz, mixed fruit (watermelon, pineapple, raspberries, black grapes, green grapes, cantaloupe, and strawberries), zucchini bread (well, my mom-in-law made this and and she and our sister-in-law made peanut butter balls), a HUGE vegetables tray (celery, carrots, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli -- all with ranch dip), empanadas, cocktail meatballs, barbecue weenies, oreo truffles, peanut butter balls, and punch.  Yep, it was a spread.  But seriously...  Food is an important part of the Nilla Life :).
And that picture frame is one I bought at Pier 1.  We got a gift card for our wedding to specifically buy a frame for a wedding picture.  So there it is, with our wedding picture :).  I like it.  And the huge veggie tray. 
So we had this massive-long trivia game full of fun questions.  Like:  what was our first major household item purchase?  When did we make that purchase?  (The answer is a mattress, on our wedding day).  Hahaha...

Speaking of mattresses...  Jeremy built our bed.  He got it finished about 2 weeks ago, and we've been living it up :).  Actually, it's more complete now, because the top is now on it as well.  This gives us storage on top of the bed.  And in this little 483 square foot house, we needed it badly!  I'm loving the bed, as it seems kind of medieval-like, with the top on it and the posts that go all the way up.  And I'm loving my husband's talents :). 


Anyway, back to the party...  So those are all the pictures I got.  I started mingling and visiting, and then we gave out all the answers to our guests and let people collect their prizes.  And we seriously had so much food leftover!  Brad, Angie, and the kids stayed and helped clean up; as did Jeremy's oldest brother.  And actually a bunch of people helped us take everything down.  It took us 2 hours to set up, and only about 1 hour and 15 minutes to clean up, due to all the help.  We so appreciate everyone!  And I hope I can get copies of the pictures my mom-in-law took so I can have pictures of the attendees!

So I'm sure I'll be posting more soon.  I plan to take pictures on our trip :).  And I'll even ask you a few trivia questions from our game to see what you guess :).

1 comment:

the happy thomas family said...

yes ... please do ask those trivia questions ;) . love you ever so dearly! have fun on your trip!