Thursday, January 26, 2012

Snopocalypse

That’s what someone at church called our freak snow and ice storm of January 2012 :). And I think it’s a great blog post title! It was also a lovely 2 days of (non)work. And let me just say that last week’s work week was the most awesome ever! Because Monday was a holiday. Tuesday was work. Wednesday was an official snow day for which I got paid. And Thursday was a day I was not going to attempt skiing my car down my hill along with the other sledders (who were on sleds, not in cars). I got paid for that day too, but it required use of my floating holiday and a bit of annual leave. Eh, but it was worth it. Both for laziness’ sake and the sake of my safety. So yeah… They had predicted snow starting Tuesday afternoon, but by Tuesday at 10 p.m., there still wasn’t snow anywhere in sight. So I went to bed assuming it was all a lark. But by 5:00 the next morning, I learned it hadn’t been. Jeremy called and said, “Is it quiet where you are?” I replied in the affirmative, realizing that it actually was very quiet (like I mentioned before, the traffic is easily and often heard on my road) and he said it was quiet where he was, but that’s what happens when it snows… After we hung up, I decided to peek outside. Yep, it had snowed! By that point, about 4 or 5 inches. I didn’t have to worry about putting the trash out. I called the County offices to determine what my day would be looking like (though I was pretty sure I wasn’t going in anyway, because I’m not a winter-weather driver). They said they were on 2 hour delay. I was fine with that and rolled over and went back to sleep. But not for much. And actually, I might have gone back to sleep before looking outside and then called at 7 when my alarm went off. Either way… I was happy with a 2 hour delay and the knowledge I could call back at 8:30 and find out what was happening. But at that point, I didn’t go back to sleep… I laid there thinking about snow days. And how they would be so much more fun not spent alone… By 8 I had roused myself and was puttering around eating breakfast and watching an old family video (Christmas 1994) and I was watching the snow fall. I had ventured right outside my front door to sweep off my mat (I don’t have an overhang over my front door) and it was COLD! The little kids sledding said, “HI!” Ah to be young! I was happily snuggled up inside instead of sledding ;). So I went back to the couch, waiting for time to call to find out the verdict about work. Then a knock came at my door. I wasn’t expecting anyone, but figured it might be the mailman. It turns out it was Jeremy. They had closed his job down after telling them they had to be there and better find a way in. My house was closer, so he biked over in the lovely cold sleet/snow mix. And when I called in, I learned the County offices were officially closed. Yippy!! So we enjoyed some home-made hot chocolate and watched “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.” Hilarious movie. Thursday my job was open, but I didn’t go, because my hill was still a skating rink. I called my boss, and she said the roads at the County offices were horrible too, and even several people who live in the same city as the offices weren’t able to even get out of their driveways. Apparently the call was changed later in the day to opening at noon. But since I’d already decided to take the day, I never bothered to call back in and learn that. So it was another lazy day. I stayed in my pj’s for 2 straight days. By Friday at noon, the rain was falling and turning everything to slush, and I was tired of being inside and decided I would venture out and brave driving in the slush. Aside from one spinning-tires-and-going-nowhere experience, I survived. And learned something new through that spin-out joy. I only went to the grocery store and the Laundromat, but that was enough to get me out of the house for a couple hours.


By Saturday travel was no problem. Jeremy and I ate a light lunch at my house and then headed to Wal-Mart to do some shopping (had to replace my paper shredder), and then we went to the pizza place we hadn’t been to in a while (we didn’t enjoy the last pizza we had there, but this time we got the one we knew we liked! And it was delicious!). Sunday was church (and also a sleep-in morning for me…). It was kind of a chaotic day. Which I suspected would be the case based on how our 5 kiddos were acting in Sacrament meeting. Phew! We had some wiggle worms. And Primary was no different. But we survived. I had choir after church (I’m not enjoying it being after church anymore, because that puts me there until 5:15… Makes for a long day). Then I saw Jeremy for a bit after church. And then we begin another work week. And this one’s not of the super-cool variety ;). But such is life. I will say I thoroughly enjoyed my 1-day work week with a 5-day weekend. Ahhhh…

1 comment:

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh what i would have given for a 1 day work week! unfortunately, jersey doesn't normally do that as it's sort of equipped for such weather... sort of.