Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Briefings

Yep, I've been mostly silent. But that's partially because I've been house-sitting for Bob and Melanie and therefore do not have my laptop to whiz around on. Sure, there's always their computer (which I'm using now), but then I don't do the uploading of pictures, etc. Not that I have many more pictures than of my garden ;). Well, and not even of my garden, really, but of the things I picked from said garden. Got some more big zucchini. Finally made my fresh tomato salsa (yes! the tomatoes are finally ripening!!!) but it's not as good as I remember it being. Something is missing. I keep adding garlic salt and that's helping. Also, the jalapeno from the garden didn't get much heat (turns out Jeremy was right about that...) so it's missing a little kick also. Oh well. I have plenty more tomatoes growing and the weather is going to be hot and sunny through this week. And by hot, I mean high 80s, possibly into the low-90s. Kind of weird weather for this time of year here, but really... We've had a weird year weather-wise anyway. This is the hottest it's been all summer. And the blackberries are ripening nicely. I've already made a blackberry cobbler.

So what else have I been up to? Well, mostly the sameold. Working. House-sitting. Jeremy and I went blackberry picking on Saturday. I went to Seattle with Lea to watch Xavier's girlfriend do a dance performance and that was interesting. It lasted all of about 20 minutes, so Lea and I spent the remainder of the time walking around Seattle and roaming inside of Bed Bath and Beyond. I love that store, because I love the kitchen stuff :). I love love love kitchen stuff! They had the cutest set of mini individual trifle bowls. So stinkin' cute! Anyway, so that's what we did that day. And made new memories. Like using a bathroom where you had to go into a store and get the code to be able to open the bathroom door. And discovering that you're supposed to punch our the perforated part of the toilet seat covers... (Yes, both Lea and I discussed this and neither of us punch it out because it just disintegrates anyway... Turns out both Jeremy and Chuck laughed at us for this -- and ironically both asked, "Haven't you ever read the instructions?" Ummm no. Because it's pretty self-explanatory? :)). And remember: it's only fun when it's fun ;). And we definitely had fun while getting lost in the basement of the 5th Avenue Theater, etc. I've made several zucchini recipes. I'm trying to encourage my love of zucchini. I'm not such a fan, but if I grow it, I'm determined to like it! I mean, I have grown quite a fondness for tomatoes now since I grew them last year :). And I'm finding ways to enjoy zucchini. Just not in a zucchini smoothie. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if we had actually had vanilla extract. But I discovered that we were lacking it after I'd already started. And so my mom suggested substituting almond extract. Because she does that for baking brownies or making homemade hot cocoa. Yeah so I tried it... Against my own better judgement (but it really needed something more than just the orange juice and zucchini flavors). Ummm yeah. Orange juice and almond extract make an interesting combo. I will say I did drink the whole thing without gagging, so there is that... ;). Que mas? Jeremy and I went to the Never Ending Pasta Bowl at Olive Garden. It's about the only time I choose to go there anymore because they seem over-priced regularly. It was enjoyable and Jeremy got to experience it for the first time. On Labor Day I spent the day at Jeremy's brother's house. I hung out with his sister-in-law while he helped build a garage. So I learned how to play Yahtzee! And that was fun! I played it back in the day (like think younger than 6th grade), so I had forgotten the whole thing. I like playing games, though. I also helped skin and freeze peaches (and learned a technique for getting the skins of easily) and we made a couple batches of cookies. And then Jeremy's mom and dad went over for dinner and his mom informed me that she's checked my blog several times and I hadn't updated ;). So I'm partially updating this for her :).

Other tidbits: we had all the kiddos at church on Sunday and they did well. Emily didn't want to stay in nursery when I left, so she cried. Broke my heart, so I didn't make her stay. Later she went back in, though. All the kids started school today. Saria is in 4th grade, Samuel in 2nd, Desiree in 1st, and Benjamin in kindergarten. Talked to my dad, Julie, and Virginia this week. Checked out a couple pleasure-reading books from the library (oh, I finally finished The Host by Stephenie Meyer) and am reading for fun again -- when I have the time. (Funny... From January through April I finished 14 of my goal of 30. From April to August, I finished 1! I think something entered my life that was of a slightly higher priority ;)).

I'm sure there are other things. But for now, I can't remember them. And since it's only 9 and I have a house to myself and a book to read -- well, I'm off to enjoy a foray into the land of fiction :).

4 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

napoleon dynamite. ;)

the happy thomas family said...

well ... here is another chick that has been lurking around daily looking for an update. so ... i am, too, glad that you posted today. ;)

and hooray for pleasure reading. while i totally understand the comeuppance of 'higher priorities' (hello?!) - it's sometimes nice to something purely for oneself. so ... enjoy your foray into the land of fiction. i'll be joining you shortly, myself.

love you, dearest.

Katherine Ronachert said...

oh! jdub is getting baptized tomorrow! :) big milestone! hami turns 2, i turn 33, double three's not that's just cool! :)

jessica said...

appreciating the update :)

Napoleon Dynamite!!