Monday, July 18, 2011

More Nilla-Ness

So the problem with only blogging once a week (on average) is that I never get around to doing the random posts that aren't really about the Nilla Life. I have a deep thought one brewing. I also have a fun Fortune 500 one brewing. In fact, I think that's what I will call it whenever I get around to it. I'm thinking that one may be a fun post :). But at least I'm managing to keep up with weekly blogosphere updates. Even if it serves no other purpose than to be a memory-keeper for all the details I don't put in my journal (which I mostly only write in weekly also...).

I walked with Sue on Tuesday and Thursday. The kids were here Thursday, so Saria walked with us too. It's quite a trek and she is quite a trooper, really. Wednesday I went Visiting Teaching with Wendy. And the lady we visited gave us something called root beer milk. It tasted like a root beer float without the fizz. Interesting. But you know I'm always up for a new experience :). Thursday night I started house-sitting for Bob and Melanie. Which meant sleeping in on Friday morning :). So blissful :). Presidency Meeting was cancelled, because Christina's kids and husband were sick and we usually have our meeting at her house. But Brad had the kids and he had to go to work (or so he thought) and had to leave by 11. So I ran a few errands that morning, then came to the house and watched the kids. We started out by snuggling and watching Up. I had never seen that before. It was cute. And since I like to take pictures of everything, I thought it was a super-cute opportunity for a picture :). I think you will agree. This will provide fond memories one day, I'm telling ya ;).
Brad called to say that it turned out he didn't have to go in because the barge wasn't ready or whatever. So he and his co-worker drove all that way for nothing. Lame. But I fed the kids lunch, cleaned a little house, and then went outside to start working in the garden. And also cut some grass. For the record, I think electric lawn mowers are the most ridiculous thing ever. Do you have any idea how annoying the electrical cord is? Ugh. What a design. Okay, so there's my two cents on that. And somewhere around 3:30, after Jeremy and I had texted a few times and I knew he was done with his test and he knew I was out dinking around in the yard, he asked if I would like company. And I don't know about you ladies out there, but I don't turn down the company of a great, wonderful, handsome guy ;). (I try not to embarrass him too much, but I do "have to" gush about how awesome he is... :)). Yeah, so Jeremy came over and we sat out weeding my garden for a couple hours. And then we hung out under the carport until about 10, talking and laughing and enjoying each other's company. Did I mention he is wonderful? :)

Yep, so Friday was a "bonus" day. I do so love those bonus days :). Because they are uber-wonderful and I don't have to wait quite as long for another opportunity for uber-wonderfulness :). In this case, I only waited approximately 16 hours for more wonderfulness :). And I spent the majority of that sleeping in on Saturday! And then I was lazy pretty much all morning at Bob and Melanie's. Just me and the cats. And an episode of Bravestarr. Holy cow. That is a hilariously ridiculous cartoon. It was Christina's (my sister) favorite when we were growing up. She would always go around saying, "Speed of the puma, puma, puma!" I did also read scriptures, so I wasn't entirely lazy :). But I spent the morning in my glasses and pajamas. Until about 1:00 when I started getting ready to head to my house to meet up with Jeremy :). So while waiting for him, I unloaded the dishwasher and heated up some boiled (remember: pronounce it "bowled") peanuts. Here's the can. For posterity :).
Thanks to Becky who gave me these back in August 2008, by the way :). I'm so glad she did and that I have held on to them. So much fun to share a little bit of my Southern past with Jeremy. So yeah, they were expired. So I had my mom look at them. She looked disgusted. But that's mostly because they do look kind of gross. I mean, they are peanuts (in their shells) that have been soaking in saltwater for years. And yep, as soon as I popped open that can, I remembered the smell of hot boiled peanuts. (Oh, and the ones we ate didn't look as pretty as the ones in the picture...). So after they were heated through, I put them into a little container. Jeremy arrived around that time, so we headed off to a quiet area that I learned about from when I used to walk with Lea. It was raining, and most of the benches had bird poop on them anyway, so we studied scriptures in the car with a lovely view of the water outside the passenger window. Then we ate the peanuts. And okay, so Jeremy ate the first one with the shell. He definitely liked them better when he started cracking open the shell and eating the peanuts inside ;). But he did like them! (He definitely liked them more than the Chinese Plum...). Actually, they can be sort of addicting to eat. But then I start to grow tired of them and I get over the excitement of them. But we hammered that can and enjoyed the culinary adventure of the South (even though it's no fried twinkie...). By this point, the rain was coming down a bit harder, so we waited it out in the car while talking and laughing. And then, when the rain let up, we got out and walked on the beach. And I talked him into another picture. Or two, since he was being cute and hiding his eyes on the first one ;). Now he gets 2 pictures up in one post! Hahaha. (Actually, I adore his silliness. I love that we can joke and laugh and play and be silly together. It's downright awesome.)
Oh, and it was really windy at this spot.
Oh! So Lea had invited us to join her at the Olive Garden. Along with all the other library folk with whom I used to work. Another person quit, and they were having her farewell party. Back in the day when I worked there too, Lea and I appreciated each other's company at these events. And so she invited us along and then told Chuck he was going when at first I said I didn't know if Jeremy would have a grand time hanging out with a bunch of ladies. So we ended up going to the Olive Garden with all the library ladies and Chuck. And the husband of one of the other ladies. And most hilarious of all was when one of the ladies from the library recognized Jeremy immediately (like without me introducing him). Yeah, he didn't expect that to happen. So then we fielded all the "So how'd you guys meet?!?" questions. Oh so smiley. I just can't help it. So yeah, it was an experience (and a half). But it's all about the experience, right ;)? And then we went to bowl with Lea and Chuck. Only surprise, surprise! It was rock and bowl! At 8:30! When Chuck texted that to Morgan, she texted back that it must be rock and bowl for the old people at that hour. Haha. Although I will probably agree with her, except for the fact that the music was way too loud. Ugh. I mean, I like music. (I would have preferred jamming out to 80s, but whatever...). But I want to be able to hear the conversation, you know? And so we didn't get to have any, since we couldn't actually hear each other! We played 2 games (and it was cheaper than usual at $5 a game each) and I got the highest score (of 123) on the second game. Apparently 8th grade P.E. was coming back to me... Hahaha. We headed out at 9:30 and talked to Chuck and Lea in the parking a lot while we let our ears return to normal hearing. And then we headed our separate ways. Back at my house, Jeremy and I talked some more and reminisced about our first date. It was so much fun! We told our own perspectives of it and laughed!!! What great memories :).

Sunday Primary went pretty well. I was mostly just making sure all the classes were covered and had what they needed. I was the "extra" person that day. And then I had choir where we are already starting to do Christmas songs! It seems early, I know. But in reality, the remainder of the year will fly by, and I know it. I can't believe we are already halfway through July. I mean, wasn't the 4th just yesterday!?! The weekend was actually rainy, so I didn't have to water the garden all weekend. But I did take a picture for Annie since she requested one :). I think i planted my tomatoes too close together... It's going to be interesting once everything gets huge (like those squash on the right). But eh... We'll see what happens. I'm happy to see the things I planted from seed doing so well finally. It took them forever with this cold year we've had! And my cilantro is sprouting up now (you may be able to see it in the back left in front of the spiky thing which are my chives :)).
As always, the weekend ended much too quickly. But work went by pretty fast today too, and it was a good day all the way around :).

2 comments:

the happy thomas family said...

Okay. This whole 'Southern PAST' nonsense is making me sad. Seriously.

Just kidding, of course. Well ... maybe. I'm still sad. But I'm excited for what your Present and Future holds. Really. I am.

Oh, how I remember those boiled peanuts. SUCH a fun night ;) . And so hilarious that Jeremy ate the first one with the shell :) . You're right, though ... they are ridiculously addicting. Until you eat one too many that is. ;)

Love you, dear Hila. I am smiling for you.

jessica said...

Holy cow that is a lot of fun going on!

Princess Bride