Friday, June 19, 2009

[I] Can Dance if [I] Want To

This has to be one of the most awesome songs of all time. I don't know why, but it's one I can always listen to. There's no real point to the song, and yet I love it. Plus it's totally 80s. Who can ask for more than that!?!

So, in an attempt to catch you up with the last 3 weeks of my life (scary that it's already been 3 weeks, roughly, since I came back from Julie's), this post will be a hodge podge of all the Nilla-Waferly goodness that is my life ;).

So we begin with the story that inspired my awesomely 80s song-title post. And actually this happened before I went to Florida to see Julie. But it's so classic me that it must be told. So, I was filing the new index cards that I have been working on. So I was working the "old" file room, because that is where we are keeping the index cards with purchasers and decedents. And I was, as always, listening to my mp3 player. Now, because I was inside the building, I know better than to sing. So, I wasn't doing that. I did, however, have the headphones in and the music cranked up. I was behind the door, though the door to the room was open. And as I got caught up in all the wonderfulness that is The Spice Girls' Wannabe (don't laugh -- you know you love that song too), I, for some inexplicable reason, closed my eyes and started dancing in place. You know, bopping my head... swishing my hips to the beat. And I happen to turn and open my eyes, and there is Bob (not the chocolate alligator Bob, but another Bob), standing there. In one motion, I pull out one of the headphones and cover my mouth with my hand in complete shock and embarassment. And I know I was turning red. And Bob just smiled and walked out of the room and up the stairs. Mary was on her way downstairs and said, "Uh-oh, Bob's smiling. What did you do, Bob? It's never good when you are smiling like that." And Bob said, "I'll let Hila tell you that story." And so I did. And Mary laughed her butt off. And let's just say that it got brought up in the morning meeting the next morning.... the comment that, if you go out to the file room (the new one), to make sure you let the receptionist know, because you might be out there for a while since there's a rumor going around that you might get entertainment while you're out there... I turned so red once again... Ah, yes. Classic. So, yeah. I can dance if I want to. And I do :). And sometimes I get cold-busted.

After returning from Florida, I was doing my usual at work one afternoon. I was supposed to be gone already, but was hanging around telling stories with Mary. And somehow the story about how I stink after midnight came up. And so I told the story. Because, really, I think it's a hilarious one, and I can laugh. If you need a refresher for this story, please refer to this link. And scroll down to #3 -- the Midnight Funk. Anyway, Bob, the same Bob from the dancing story above, overheard the story, so he printed out a sign for me, which he left on the desk I usually work at. So I found it the next morning and proudly taped it up and posed for a picture with it :).
Guess who stinks at midnight!

On Saturday, June 6, Saria was baptized. I wasn't able to get pictures there, since I was playing the piano and also giving a talk. And plus my mom and I were a little late, because of work. So I'm kind of bummed that I don't have pictures of that. But afterwards, we celebrated Samuel's 5th birthday. I can't believe the boy is 5. I was there the day after he was born. The time goes by way too fast.... Anyway, so here's the birthday boy with his cake:
The Birthday Boy
And here I am with all the little babies:
Aunt Hila with all the babies
Don't make fun of my white legs ;).

In other totally radical news, while at Wal-Mart for mom to get Sam's birthday present, I saw Barbie and the Rockers Barbie from 1986!!!! If I had $40 to throw away on 80s memorabilia, I would totally buy it. I guess it's Barbie's 50th anniversary, so they have redone Barbies from different decades. And Barbie and the Rockers (I totally had her in the 80s... along with the Ken from the Rockers, and he had "real" hair -- not the painted plastic) is representing the awesome decade that is the 80s. So I took a picture with my cell phone. But I'm too lazy to send it to my email so I can post it here ;). Just take my word for it. And if you really need to see what she looks like, click here.

My sister-in-law Michele celebrated a birthday on the 12th. We wanted to suprise her for her birthday, so we set it all up with Ben so that we could show up on the 11th with cupcakes and ice cream and sing happy birthday :). So, Christina and I spent that afternoon together taking Emily to her well-baby check-up (poor thing had to get 3 shots) and then making cupcakes. And the cupcakes were made with lots of love, especially by Desiree who got to do the sprinkles:
Decorated with love by Desiree

Here's the finished product:
Yummy cupcakes

It was fun to get to the door and have Michele conveniently open it before we even knocked, because she was going to come out and say something to Royce! Do you think she was surprised?
SURPRISE!

So we visited a while and sang Happy Birthday, and then we took a picture of all the girls. And this is a horrible picture of me, but oh well:
Me, Mom, Emily, Desiree, Michele, and Christina

On Friday, the 12th, I ended up going out to eat Chinese food with Mary after work. We had a blast. We went to a relatively new Chinese buffet about 15 minutes from work, and it was really good. We made total pigs of ourselves, returning for like 3 trips, plus dessert. Oh, and word to the wise: don't eat the cream puffs. It's like eating cardboard. Blech. We just gabbed and chatted... for 3 hours. I kid you not. Oh my gosh we laughed so hard. We were starting to get a complex, because they tried to seat 3 different sets of people right next to us, and all 3 sets declined. We still aren't sure if they were wanting to get away from us or if it was just a coincidence. But oh my gosh, we laughed so hard! Mary is awesome, and it's scary how alike she and I are.

Also on Friday, Ben stopped by with Tony and Sean after Sean's graduation. So I was able to get pictures of Sean in his cap and gown. Like many graduations these days, only a limited number of tickets are distributed (I remember this from my high school graduation -- 10 years ago... sigh), so we weren't able to go to Sean's graduation, but it was neat to get to see him all dressed in his regalia:
Tony, Sean, and me

Oh, and meanwhile I am having weird dreams some nights. One night I dreamed I was on this huge jet that had like 3 sets of seats (I haven't seen these kinds of planes in years). All I remember from this particular dream, other than being on the plane, is that for some reason the plane landed early -- in the middle of a city. And so the pilot is driving on the roads, trying to find a stretch of straight road to take-off again, and we end up clipping a stop light with the wing or something. Weird, I know.

Last night, I spent the night at Christina's. We watched 13 Going on 30 and just spent time together. It was fun. Though I will say I'm exhausted. After the movie and after Desiree went to sleep, Christina, Nick, and I played Disney's Scene It board-game. Nick won, but only just barely! It was a lot of fun, though. I finally got to sleep after 1:30 this morning. And then Emily woke up at 7 cooing, and I could hear her, so I got up and got her. She's such a happy baby. And Desiree learned a new game: "Copy Aunt Hila." So everything I'd say or do, she copied. She was really good at it. It was funny. And she called grandma (my mom) a rotten. And that was hilarious. Because we call my mom rotten because she's always getting stuff for the kids. So, Desiree picked up on it. Oh, the other thing that she did that was so adorable was when she was pretending to talk to me on a cell phone. She said, "My phone is breaking up!" I laughed!!! So there you go Dad... Even Desiree's pretend cell phone breaks up ;). Before I went to work this morning, Christina wanted to do my hair and make-up like she used to. So here is my hair:
My hair
She did a good job, and I got a lot of compliments at work. And here is a shot of me, Christina, and Desiree:
Me, Christina, and Desiree
And one of Emily. She is so long! And she always lays straight like this. It's so funny and cute!
Emily the straight

So now you can consider yourself caught up with the Nilla Life ;). Whacky, I know. Oh yeah, and if you want to see the pictures of me and Julie before I post them here, click on her blog link. She put up the one from 10 years ago and the one from 3 weeks ago :).

5 comments:

Stefanie Nicole Barker said...

My goodness Hila you are beautiful! I loved the make-up your sister did. And...k I hope it was ok to have a bit of a laugh at your expense but that dancing along to music story was hilarious! Please keep stories like that coming :) I love your life! You really are enjoying Washington, and as much as I miss having you around, I'm glad you moved out there. It really was way good for you. :)

juliebean said...

I will have this song in my head all day now, thanks nilla. That baby emily is so sweet!

Katherine Ronachert said...

i love reading on your updates! thanks for the song links as well. i always love a good song; although, i agree with juliebean, they will be in my head all day!!!

Stefanie Nicole Barker said...

Hila! Your cousin just gave me a splendid thought - wouldn't it be lovely if I got called to Seattle? :)

Katherine Ronachert said...

have you heard of cheese.com?