Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's Been a Berry Good Week

I'm so corny!

So, since Elka is basically telling me that I sleep downstairs with the computer and therefore have no excuse to not have another blog done... Turns out that blogging daily isn't as easy when you aren't sitting in a cubicle bored to tears.

The week has gone quickly. I'm amazed I've been here a week now. For the most part it's just been a week of me trying to establish myself here and get all the small things done and out of the way. But that has been interspersed with lots of visits to see my family. I have several pictures, of course. I'm missing a couple of me with Saria and Samuel, since they are on Tarylyn's camera. I'll post them when I get them. But it was so cute! I was over there and I had sat down on the couch. Saria and Samuel both climbed onto me and just sat there. Of course, they harassed each other while I played referee :). But it was so cute, the picture of the three of us. I thought so anyway :). My mom and I went to Christina's on Friday to pick some blackberries, and we also watched the 5th Harry Potter movie. Desiree was our bucket-carrier and she ate several of the blackberries. Which will explain the purple smear on her face in the pictures. We got quite a few blackberries, though. It was neat. Saturday morning, I was woken up at about 6:45 because something busted at Christina's apartment and her apartment was flooding! So my mom and I went over there to help. Since the carpet guy was going to be there for several hours, and Christina had to work, Mom and I ended up taking Desiree with us. So Brad and Tarylyn met up with us and we all went to the Blackberry Festival. It was a crowd. It was neat to see, but hard to maneuver with 2 strollers full of 3 kids. I tried blackberry lemonade and have determined that we are going to use some of our blackberries for that purpose. We all also had a scoop of blackberry ice cream, and then I bought a 6-pack of blackberry soda. Pretty cool stuff. I think in addition to making blackberry lemonade with ours, we'll also make blackberry jelly (a little bit) and blackberry pie. Fun stuff :). After we dropped Desiree off at home (she fell asleep in her stroller and then slept on me on the bus ride back to the car), I walked down the hill to some more blackberry bushes and picked another quart-size bag of blackberries. It's so fun thinking about all the things we'll make! My mom says raspberries also grow wild here during the Spring. I'm excited about those too :).

Well, I guess I should start getting ready for church. Church starts at 1 here. Let's just say I slept long and hard after yesterday's busy morning :).

Oh, and here are some pictures for you to enjoy! (P.S. The pictures of Desiree are of her being a princess. Don't you love the hair?) Oh, and I'm not even going to attempt the slideshow thing again, so just click on the picture for more :).

More blackberries

10 comments:

juliebean said...

I used to pick blackberries all the time growing up. They grew all along our road. They have since been torn out. I LOVE LOVE them. I am jealous. I wish I was there and could eat some of those. :)

juliebean said...

Oh yeah and I agree with Elka. You have not excuse not to blog daily to keep us in the loop with your new life in Washington. No excuses!!

juliebean said...

jon has a guess on your movie quote. he thinks it is tremors. That movie where they are in the desert with the animals under the ground. (those are his words, i have no idea what he is talking about)

Kira =] said...

Oh YUM!

And Christina's is sooo cute preggo! =]

Heather said...

Those look so yummy! We had them growing in our back yard when I was a kid. I bought some at Sam's one time, but they weren't as good.

Stefanie Nicole Barker said...

Ok Hila I couldn't leave a comment on your food blog but it's adorable! I absolutely love it!

Mrs. S said...

wow, that picture is mouthwatering!

Katherine Ronachert said...

yeah, sorry to call you out... ok not really!
i think we should have blackberry lemonade for the family reunion.
:)

April Lauren said...

Hey lady! Are you in Seattle yet? I miss you and Stefaine! You two are such sweet spirits! (I always feel corny when I say or in this case write that, but spirit seems to capture excactly what I mean!)

I must admit I am also a reader of your blog. I love it!I am not sure if I have ever commented... I usually think a lot about commenting... but I am not sure if I do.

It was so wonderful to hear from you lady! Until next time! ;)

wilkinson family said...

i am jealous, so many blackberries! i usu. buy a small packge of them and don't share, they are my special treat.
glad to hear all is going well with you.